what's cooking


Menu planning keeps me sane. If I can plan and shop for the weeks' meals on Sunday, my week goes so much more smoothly.  If I don't, I end up at the grocery store after work, pushing a giant race car cart through the aisles of Publix in heels, trying to keep my  my wild toddler from leaping from the seat to get "YOGURT!" Last time I attempted the Buggy of Doom in a dress and heels I took out a display in the produce section. It was a proud moment.

I don't share my menus too often as it's typically some variation of the usual suspects, with the occasional new or different recipe tossed in.  Our usual suspects: turkey burgers, homemade pizza, and something Mexican - tacos, taco salad, enchiladas, etc.  All pretty standard and I'm sure you're not interested in seeing the same meals week after week. Because I'm trying three new recipes and a recent favorite this week, I thought I'd post the menu. (Sidenote: this is a crazy busy week for me. Why the hell am I making three new recipes? Fool.)

As usual, I only planned four meals to account for weekend plans and leftovers. And I don't usually assign meals to days, just cook what works best for our schedule each day. Here's what we're eating this week.
 
{source}
Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Apples & Onions - I saw this recipe on Carolina Charm recently and it looked perfect for a chilly winter day. The original recipe is for a pork roast but I found a bourbon spiced pork tenderloin I thought would work well and save a few calories.

UPDATE: made this tonight and we were not fans. Everything came out mushy. Not sure what went wrong. It went in the trash and we had leftover pizza.  
 
White Chicken Chili & Cornbread - This is the easiest, tastiest white chicken chili. The original recipe is only 5 ingredients but because I can't leave well enough alone, I've adapted it a bit. Generally, more beans, cilantro, and some seasonings. My favorite tweak: add about 1/4 cup of very finely ground tortilla chips to the chili while it's cooking. (Grind 'em up in the food processor or toss them in a plastic baggy and go at them with a rolling pin.) It thickens the chili and gives it an awesome flavor. I abhor the crock pot but I may try this recipe in it this time.
 
SkinnyTaste Macaroni Casserole & Spinach Salad - I'm not big on casseroles but this recipe looks similar to a baked ziti, which I can handle. I have high hopes this is a meal the entire family will eat. It's darn near impossible to get Blaire to eat veggies so I'm hoping this recipe will sneak some by her. I'm going to divide this one up into two smaller pans and freeze one for later.

UPDATE #2 - I feel compelled to update again to tell you that this did not turn out. The noodles were absolute mush. I think the cooking time will vary greatly depening on the noodles you use, so if you brave this one, check it WAY earlier than instructed to make sure your noodles aren't over cooked.
 
{source}
Honey Mustard Baked Chicken with Roasted Red Potatoes and Broccoli  - I'm going to toss the potatoes in to cook with the chicken & honey mustard sauce for an easy side dish. I'm using boneless skinless chicken thighs because I had them in the freezer.

What are you eating this week?

4 comments:

Mateya said...

Those all sound great! I'm going to try the white chicken chili for sure. Why don't you like the crockpot?! That thing is my lifeline!

Kitty and June said...

The casserole from Skinny Taste is great!! Pretty much everything from her is delish!

Jordon said...

I bought a pork tenderloin especially for this recipe! Sad it didn't turn out. I guess I will need to find another one!

Melissa said...

Girl, you put me to shame. I can't find the energy to cook when I get home from work- and I don't even have a kiddo! Those sure do look delicious, though!