laziness perfected: a dry shampoo review

I'm a night owl.  Always have been. There was a semester in college where I set an alarm to make my 2pm class. Okay, that's a lie. The class was at 4pm.  It was not a proud time in my life. 

A big girl job and a baby have reformed my night owl tendencies somewhat. But a leopard can't change its spots. I frequently abuse my snooze button privileges and wake up well after I plan.  My morning routine involves stumbling bleary eyed to the kitchen for coffee, finding something to wear that doesn't need to be ironed, and putting on as little makeup as I can get away with without scaring people.  I don't have time to be washing, blow drying, and flat ironing my hair every morning. If it didn't get washed the night before, the chances of it getting washed in the morning are not good.

Enter dry shampoo, the greatest thing to come in a can since Diet Coke.  This stuff is literally time in a bottle. On the mornings where I hit snooze one time too many, this stuff saves my rear end.

I can't tell you how many different brands I have tried. I think I've tried every brand under $10.  If Consumer Reports ever runs out of products to test and decides to review dry shampoo, they'll want my notes.  Bumble & Bumble Blondeish Hair Powder is probably my favorite - but at $35 a pop, not practical for a lazy ass like myself who uses the stuff on the regular.  Plus you have to schlep to a salon to find it. I prefer something I can toss in  my  cart at Tarjay.  Batiste isn't bad, but I'm not crazy about the smell and it can make your hair look gray. 

the losers

Suave Keratin was a contender - until I tried to use it for a second time and found the bottle empty.  Annoying.  Tresemme is the absolute worst. Leaves too much residue, making my hair feel grungy. And I choked for about 10 minutes after spraying it. I had to leave the room until it aired out.  Suave Professionals was okay but doesn't last very long either. (Suave, quit cheaping out and fill the can!) And it smells very fruity.  I've tried more but let's just get to the winner, shall we? 

winner, winner, chicken dinner
This stuff is the best. It smells good but not overpowering. It revives my flat, dirty hair and gives it volume. It takes away the greasy feel of day 3 hair but doesn't turn my roots gray or make my hair feel grungy or coated. The can lasted a long time, maybe 7-10 uses. Best of all, it was under $5. At that price, I can sleep in as often as I like.  :)  My search for THE dry shampoo is over. I've found my winner.

If you love your snooze button as much as I do, give it a try. Let me know what you think. 

*this post was not compensated, just my opinion.



10 comments:

Atlanta, Food and Love said...

Thanks for this! I have been wondering about these and how they effect blond hair. A girl I work with (also blond) likes a brand from CVS called Psssst...she says its under $5 too.

Welcome back to the blogging world, it's nice to read your posts again!

Jen said...

I am so happy to read this post. My hair is in a major rut due to overwashing, and I've been advised to give it a rest every other day. The problem is that my roots will look disgusting and oily on the second day. The only dry shampoo I've tried is Tresemme, and it totally made my roots gray. Not okay. I was just about to begin my search for a replacement. You have just saved me a ton of time and money. Thanks for the review!

Sara said...

Ok, I have to admit that I've never used dry shampoo. Does that make me a fashionista failure? I have super fine thin hair that gets oily fast and is nearly impossible to go a day in between washings. Every now and then I will use some baby powder on the roots to take out some of the oil and make it look half-way decent again. Is dry shampoo the same thing? Can I just keep using the baby powder? It smells so good!

KBistany said...

the greatest thing to come in a can since Diet Coke....that is so true and so funny! You converted me long ago and have allowed me to get more sleep on two or three mornings a week now. I think you know how much that means to me ;)

Maggie said...

Nice!! I use Sephora brands but because I'm forever trying to limit my shampoos (down to 2-3 times a week now - big improvement), I want to find a cheaper brand. I shall try this!!

Christine said...

Gahhh you read my mind!! I've been searching for the best (cheap) dry shampoo for a while also! I've tried the Suave w/ keratin, that TresEmme one, the John Frieda one and Big Sexy Hair - which gave the most volume but left your hair feeling crunchy. Batiste turned my hair gray and so did Psssst brand. And I got an expensivo one by Oscar Blandi courtesy of my Birchbox, that one was awesome but $$$. I must go find this Dove Dry shampoo stat!! Thanks for this!

Laura Graham said...

Totally gonna try this! Have you ever tried the PSsst. Brand from Walgreens?

Cassie said...

I have tried every brand you mentioned plus maybe one or two more. I couldn't agree more! I love Dove and it has been my go-to for a while now, but I recently came across a new little gem...
John Frieda Anytime Volume. I'm an hour away from the nearest Target, but I'm sure they have it. I buy mine at Wal-Mart. You should try it out!

http://www.johnfrieda.com/en-US/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Luxurious-Volume/Anytime-Volume-Refresher

Katie said...

I used to loveee the treseme one but with the most recent bottle I have found my hair even dirtier looking after spraying it! Will be buying the dove one asap!

Sweet, Pink and Preppy said...

I tried the Tresemme one too and I thought it was terrible!! I was like, why do people even bother to use dry shampoo?? I'm so glad it wasn't just me!