Help! My brain is going a mile a minute with baby related thoughts and questions. Things are getting down to the wire - or so it seems to this first time mom-to-be. The reality is that we have 45 days until baby girl's due date and LOTS still to be done. Heaven help me if she decides to come early. Or late for that matter. I honestly can't decide which is scarier at this point.
Anyway, I need advice.
I was given a beautiful baby shower this weekend (a post to come as soon as I get pictures from my amazingly talented friend Jenny, who photographed the shower). We were given so many generous, beautiful gifts and I am beyond grateful. However, a few things remain which we have not yet purchased or been given. Problem is, I'm not sure which of those things are necessities and which I should wait to purchase to see whether I'll actually need them. I know there's no right or wrong answer but if you have any advice from your own experience, please share it. I'd be grateful for the opinions.
Things to buy (or not):
- Nursing Cover
- Breast pump - Some say buy it and bring it to the hospital, others say wait and see how nursing goes. What's your advice?
- Nursing bras - How on earth do I know what size to buy?!?! I'm guessing they'll get bigger. (GAH!)Should I buy one or two to get started or wait?
- Diaper changing pad cover - I know it's a must but how many do I need?
- Crib sheets - I have two. How many more do I need?
- Toys - How early will she be entertained by toys hanging from her car seat or stroller? When will she need/want toys to grasp? How many do I need to start?
Is there anything you needed right away but didn't think of before hand? Babies R Us is right around the corner but I'd like to be as prepared as possible.
On a different note, what is your opinion on taking a childbirth class? We've heard from some friends that it wasn't very helpful or informative and had decided to skip it. I've read lots of baby books and figure the doctors and nurses at the hospital will help us through the process. But now I'm starting to feel like a loser parent. For $100 and a Saturday, maybe we should just suck it up and go on the off chance we learn something. Did you go? Was it helpful?
I've been warned that being pregnant comes with lots of unsolicited advice, but in this case it is very much wanted. Please send your opinions & advice my way. Thanks for the help!