the dreaded chop

By the time you read this, it will likely be too late. 

I'll have gone from this:



{sorry for crappy cell phone pictures, but I wanted to show you how long it is now}

to this. 


Yep, I'm chopping off the hair. 

I think it's time. It is LONG.  And I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm too old to have such long hair.  Actually, let me rephrase that.  I have no problem with women of any age having longer hair. But I work in a professional, male dominated field. And I look about 12.  The super long hair does not help this at all. {I was recently at an event for law students and I was asked no less than four times how I was enjoying my summer law clerk position.  I graduated law school 4 years ago.} I think I need a more professional, mature {read - boring} hairstyle. 

Plus, this is what I do.  I grow my hair long and then cut it to my shoulders. I instantly regret it and then spend the next year growing it back out again. It's a vicious cycle - grow, cut, regret, repeat.

Unfortunately, we've reached the "cut, regret" part of the cycle. I hate this part. I'm much happier during the "grow" period.  Ugh.  

Here's hoping I have the courage to do what must be done. The dreaded chop. 

*thanks for allowing me this overly dramatic, self centered post. I realize it's just hair. And there are people in the world who are sick, hungry, and homeless. You know, people with actual problems.  I promise I've got my priorities straight.  I absolutely realize how lucky I am that this is my big worry of the day. 

15 comments:

Rebekah said...

I've so been there! I've decided I'm much happier in the cut part though. My hair grows so slow, so I've just gotten used to it being one certain length! I'm sure it will look great!

Danielle said...

I think it looks great either way (: You're one of the few people who actually like the "growing" stage. I hate that part because there's always some awkward stage where there's just nothing you can do to make it look good. And take the looking young comments as compliments. I've always been told that too and it's taken me several years but now I really appreciate them. My husband and I were carded for an R movie when we were in our late 20"s. We just laughed!

TwentyFiveFifty said...

I think it looks good either way too! I have hair that is probably just a tad longer than yours and I also am asked when I graduated from HS. Mind you, it's over 10 years ago!

I have learned long ago though that my chipmunk cheeks don't do well with anything shorter than about my collar bone. Thus, my hair has not had a good whack in probably 4 years...

Melissa said...

Yes! I am the same way! Except when I chop I always go chin length or something really extreme and then I like it for a couple days because its "new" and then hate it for the next 8 months. Vicious cycle is right- but I love your hair at both lengths! I hope the chop goes well! Post pics!

California Wife said...

You're a lucky girl because your hair will actually grow!! Your chop is the longest my hair has EVER been. I think your hair looks great either way!

Christine said...

Oh I think your hair looks great both lengths! So funny bc I was just thinking im getting too old for super long hair.. I don't know if I can do it though! You're so brave! Post more pics to inspire me! :)

the girl in the red shoes said...

I'm totally the same way about my hair! Can't wait to see it!

lifeofadoctorswife said...

You are BRAVE. I have hair about as long as yours in the photos and I get the shakes thinking about cutting it more than an inch or two. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too old for the long hair, too... But I work from home so it's not a big deal. And it's SO EASY - I can just shove it into a ponytail and go.

I hope you got a great cut that you LOVE and don't regret one bit!

Sara said...

Please post pictures!! This just reminded me that I really need to schedule a hair appointment too...my roots are showing something fierce! And I also look 12 with my long hair. I can't do short (or else I look 10), but need a few inches chopped off. Can't wait to see it!

Valerie said...

I absolutely love it! You look gorgeous!!! What a fun change.

xo
Valerie

Julia said...

Pictures!

LindseyLove said...

Ha I'm the same way. Except, I'm in the I'm loving my long hair phase and I don't even want to cut a little off :p

It will look great either way!

lindseyl0ve.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't do it!
Yes I know I am probably too late thanks to just now checking my GR. But I hate when beautiful girls with long pretty hair cut it off!
So I have to say...DON'T DO IT!

And then I also have to say...Umm pictures please?

Maggie said...

I'm the same way... my hair is the longest it's been since freshman year of college, mostly because I spent a good portion of time after our wedding refusing to get the cliched post-wedding chop, and the rest of the time wondering what to do with my hair. And then as soon as I've had it someone will say to me how much they love it long and full, and I'm back to Square One. Sigh...

but yours looks fantastic!

Jill said...

when i cut my hair shoulder length last fall 3 people said things along the line of "i'm glad you ditched the high school girl hair."

bitches.

jk.

i'm currently in the grow phase. it's not long enough to reach cut, regret. but i do the same thing as you.