These are a few of my favorite things.



We're all about substance here at For The Love. In keeping with the tradition of high-minded debate and thought provoking posts you've come to expect from me, I thought I'd share with you a few of my favorite beauty products.


Nars Blush in Orgasm


Ahhh, Nars Orgasm Blush. It's practically an urban legend. Magazines have been raving about this blush for years - telling you how it will change your life, solve your problems and may just be the solution to peace in the Middle East. I read these reviews in magazine after magazine and had always dismissed them, assuming all the attention was due to the clever name. Last summer, on a whim, I finally caved in to all the hype and threw down $25 bucks for this blush at Sephora.

I'm here to tell you - everything you've ever read is true. This blush is BEYOND amazing. It's the perfect color - not too pink or too peach and it has just enough shimmer without making you look like a drag queen. You can sweep on a bit for color during the day or pile it on at night for a more dramatic look. Somehow, it seems to look good on everyone, regardless of skin color. I do believe it's magic. I command thee - buy it. You will not be disappointed.

MAC Paint Pot

This stuff is genius. It's goes on creamy but dries immediately. It lasts forever and doesn't cake or crease. You can use it as you would powder eyeshadow, but I actually use it in a neutral color as a base for my eyeshadows. It keeps them from doing that gross cakey-crease you can sometimes get with regular eyeshadows. And it comes in bunches of colors. Love this!


Batiste Dry Shampoo



Dry shampoo is a lazy girl's best friend. If you're anything like me, your hair is a multi-step, labor intensive process. I wash, blow dry then follow up with a flat iron or curling iron. Not only does it take a while, but all the heat from blow drying, straightening and curling is really damaging.


Without dry shampoo, I need to wash my hair and go through the whole hair "process" about every other day. With dry shampoo, my hair is good for at least three days after I wash it. It saves me so much time. I just spray the dry shampoo on any part of my hair that looks greasy or flat. The greasiness instantly disappears and my hair has so much more volume and texture. Sometimes I even spray it on clear hair for the extra volume. Plus, I'm not blow drying as often and only have to touch up with the flat iron, so it saves my hair from a lot of heat damage. (I have another secret weapon against heat damage. Keep reading.)


I've tried a few of the more expensive brands of dry shampoo but in my opinion, they're just not worth the money now that I've found this lower cost alternative. (Bumble & Bumble works great but at 3x the price and I wasn't happy with the Oscar Blandi version I tried). You can pick this up at Sally Beauty or on the interwebs for around $7. Quite a bargain if I do say so myself!


Maybelline Full n' Soft Mascara


A cheapy, but a goody. I know most people love the traditional Maybelline Great Lash in the pink and green tube, but I think the Full n Soft is much better. I've used this mascara for as long as I can remember. It never clumps, makes my lashes so full and long, and stays put until you want to remove it. Best part - it's $6. If they ever discontinue this stuff I'll just be beside myself.


Kenra Thermal Styling Spray



Disclaimer: I have no idea if this product actually does what it says. It says that it protects your hair from damage caused by thermal styling. I hope it does. However, it also just makes your hair look better. I spray this on my hair when it's dry and then flat iron it. It kind of acts like hair spray, but without the gross crunchiness you get from most hairsprays. It makes my hair stay in place but still have movement. Yep, I realize that makes zero sense. Just trust me on this one. Also, it makes me feel better about all the flat ironing abuse I put my hair through. But really, what's the alternative? Walk around with the bed-head lookin' waves I was born with - me thinks notsomuch. So, I flat iron till my little heart's content with little to no guilt.

There you have it. A few of the products that help me look a little better than nature intended!

3 comments:

Sweet Simplicity said...

Nars orgasm blush is the best! It is amazing that it looks good on everyone!

I have been wanting to try dry shampoo. I'm happy to hear that you like a cheap version. I will be picking this up soon!!

The Novice Chef said...

How come no one has ever told me about Dry Shampoo before? Seriously?

:::Off to go order a bottle online now:::

The Sister said...

The invention of dry shampoo is right up there with the genius of the guy who invented Tivo.

A tip for anyone who has really dark hair like I do...make sure you rub it in completely or your hair will look grey. This isn't a problem for people with blonde hair.